Pages

Thursday 14 May 2015

Dear Jessie Burton,

I'm not going to write a letter that makes an awful lot of sense today, and I apologise, but The Miniaturist is honestly the best book I have ever read and I don't say that very often.Never before have I read something so shocking and totally unexpected and I absolutely loved it.

Your book had intrigued me for such a long time before I actually got around to buying it, and I've never quite been sure why. The title especially; I had never heard anything of the sorts! What even was a 'miniaturist', I had no idea, but I was absolutely dying to find out. So as soon as I had some spare time on my hands, I began to read.

I have always been completely fascinated by the past, especially the history of other countries. So when I realised that your book was set in 17th century Amsterdam, I honestly thought I had found my dream novel. Due to this, I fell  completely in love with the story before I had even started reading it. I quickly became immersed into the story and became accustomed to the characters. But then, massive plot twist (I won't spoil anything, I promise), and I felt like the entire world I once knew had been turned upside down and I wasn't even half way through the novel. 

As the novel progressed, I never dared to trust it again. I was so unbelievably surprised by recent events that I found myself in the rare position of not having any idea whatsoever as to what was going to happen. Although I found this quite unnerving at first, it was really quite exhilarating. It was like no other novel I had read before.

The ending did not disappoint, thank goodness. To give you a slight hint, if you look really closely at the last pages of my copy of your book, there are ripples in the pages from where my tears landed. From that alone, I think you can see the effect that it had on me. So powerful... so unjust; it presented a difficult reality from that point in time that I had never really thought about before. 

I have so many questions that I wish I could ask you that I have asked myself, and Google, many times. I guess the answers may lie with Nella, Johannes and even yourself. But they are for another time. I wouldn't wish anyone to read your book if they knew the plot. It is, a completely beautiful surprise.

Signing off till next time,
Nin :-) x

No comments:

Post a Comment